Monday, November 4, 2013

Orange Rosemary Turkey

It's November!! Which, of course, is associated with Thanksgiving!
I LOVE Thanksgiving. 
The first Thanksgiving I had after I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes was a dreaded one. I cried because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I was so upset by the idea that I was going to have to miss out on some of my favorite things about the holiday. First and foremost, the traditional holiday food.
But after I calmed down from my self-pitying tantrum, I gained a determination to make a Thanksgiving meal that was lower carb, but equally delicious.
I succeeded! I was so proud of myself. And while that was an incredible meal, and got me over my original idea that all Thanksgivings were going to be ruined forevermore, this year I came up with some recipes that will bring the carb count down even more and still amazing. And I'd love to share these recipes with you this month!
And I'm starting with the big kahuna. The turkey.
 Moist, flavorful and infused with sweet orange juices.
Orange Rosemary Turkey:
Makes 18+ servings

12 lb. whole turkey
3/4 cup olive oil
3 TBS minced garlic
2 TBS chopped fresh rosemary
2 TBS dried parsley
2 TBS dried thyme
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1 orange, peeled and sliced

Clean the turkey, pat dry, and massage to release the skin.
Mix the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, parsley, thyme, pepper and salt. Rub all over the outside of the turkey and then gently lift the skin, being careful not to tear it, and rub under the skin. Place the orange slices under the skin of the turkey.
Place the turkey in a roasting pan or a turkey roaster and fill the pan with 1/2 inch of water. Cook at 325 degrees F for 3-4 hours, or according to package directions.
Check the turkey every hour. If the skin is becoming to brown, gently cover with foil.
When the turkey is done, remove and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing so the juices can redistribute.
The serving size for the nutritional facts is about 4 oz. of turkey.

For 4 oz. of turkey: 194 calories, 13g fat, 2g saturated fat, 367mg sodium, 2g carbohydrates, 14g protein

Come back to visit to see more Thanksgiving recipes this month!!
Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment