Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole (Low Carb/Low Fat)

One of my weaknesses at Thanksgiving is the candied yams.
I. LOVE. CANDIED. YAMS.
My mom makes this particular recipe each year with some orange juice and pineapple in it, with the broiled marshmallows on top. 
Heavenly.
But I will fight against that desire this year for the sake of trying to stick to what needs to be done in order to stay healthy. But when I made these, they may not have been the sweet, delicious memory of my childhood, but they turned out delicious. And I can't wait to make them again.
 I added orange juice zest to this recipe because I always loved how the citrus flavor complimented the yams. They bring out a whole other range of yummy.
And the pecans to top it off gives it some texture. Plus, I just love pecans.

Sweet Potato Casserole:
Makes approximately 18 (1/2 cup) servings

8 medium yams, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup half & half
1 egg white
3 TBS coconut oil
2 TBS Splenda brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup chopped pecans
zest of 1 orange

Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium sized casserole dish and set aside.
When the potatoes are done, strain them and pour them into a large bowl. Add the orange juice and half & half and blend with a hand mixer. Add the egg white, coconut oil and sugar and mix well. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and blend one last time.
Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with pecans and orange zest. Cover and bake 30 minutes.
Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.

For about 1/2 cup: 95 calories, 4g Fat, 0g Saturated Fat, 55mg sodium, 14g Carbohydrates, 2g Fiber, 1g Protein

2 comments: