Monday, November 12, 2012

Corn Muffins (Low Carb/Low Fat)

I've never had a first attempt turn out good. I had my doubts on my first attempt of these corn muffins. All the while putting it together, I was thinking "These aren't going to be sweet enough...This batter is too thin, they're not going to work...I'm going to have to try this a few more times before I get it."
Then, I pulled them from the oven, popped one out, and took a bite.
Heavenly.
 They're moist, not too crumbly, and perfectly sweet that I don't feel like I need to put any honey on them. I don't even feel the need to put any butter on them. I like them just the way they are.
 

Corn Muffins: (LOW CARB/LOW FAT)
makes 12 muffins

1/3 cup yellow corn meal
1/3 cup almond meal/flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 TBL Splenda brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 TBL lemon juice
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil

In a small bowl, add the milk and the lemon juice. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add the corn meal, almond meal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk it together, breaking up all the clumps.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg and oil together with a whisk. Add the milk/lemon juice mixture and stir together. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is moist, but don't over-mix.
In a sprayed and floured (use baking spray) muffin tin, pour in a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the cups so it is only about halfway full.
Bake at 325 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick put into the center comes out clean.

For 1 muffin: 109 calories, 7.5g fat, 8.5g carbs, 2g protein

1 comment:

  1. These were surprisingly very good and moist! My son thought they tasted just like regular full carb corn muffins.

    ReplyDelete