Monday, October 8, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies (Low Carb)

I have another cookie for you.
I tried a couple chocolate chip cookie recipes from different diabetic resources, and they weren't good enough to satisfy me. Too cake-like and not enough flavor.
 So I tried my own. And they were better, but not quite there. I tried again, and they were very good, but still not what I wanted. I tried a third time.
And it was good. EXTREMELY good.
 They are permanently soft. Seriously, you could leave these cookies out without covering them, and they don't get hard. It's a beautiful thing.
 I added pecans because I like the little bit of crunch they add. And there's a nice nutty taste in the cookies anyway, due to some almond meal and almond extract, so pecans compliment them extremely well. But of course if nuts in cookies aren't your thing, they're still amazing without. My husband prefers them without. He's not a real nut lover. But I MUCH prefer them in.


 I took a bite out of this one so you could see the texture of them. I did that just for you! Wasn't that nice of me? And then I ate the rest of it. Right after I took this last picture...
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies: (LOW CARB)
makes 20 cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
3 TBL Splenda brown sugar
1/4 cup All-Natural applesauce (no sugar added)
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almond meal/flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 TBL chocolate chips
2 TBL chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Beat the butter and the brown sugar until it's creamy and smooth. Add the applesauce, extracts and egg and beat well.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, salt and soda. Pour the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix well, but do not over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.
Drop leveled off scoops (with a cookie scoop) onto a lightly greased cookie sheet (I like to use baking spray) and bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are slightly golden. Cool on the cookie sheet for a couple minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

For 1 cookie: 96 calories, 7g fat, 7g carbs, 1g protein

1 comment: