Monday, September 10, 2012

Hello

Hello!!
My name is Nikki, and welcome to Naughty Carbs!
I don't want to suggest by my title that carbs are bad, because they definitely aren't if you eat the right ones. But, for a diabetic, they do naughty things to our blood sugar, even the good ones.

 I am a recently diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic. Before I was diagnosed, I was not unfamiliar with the diabetic world. My brother has had Type 1 diabetes for 15+ years, not to mention I've had Gestational Diabetes 3 times, so I was more then familiar with the diet. And as torturous as it is to put a pregnant woman on a diet, especially one that limits her intake of sugar and carbs (I had myself many hormonal-crying sessions because of the fact that if I ate only a 1/2 cup of ice cream, my blood sugar would spike up, and I'd have a ginormous baby...), at least it is only for 5 or so months. It's a completely different ball game when you come to the realization that it will never end, unless of course they find a cure for diabetes.

Of course I'm NOT trying to say that any pregnant woman who has gestational diabetes should suck it up because it will be over soon enough. I was there...THREE TIMES! It was TERRIBLE!! And even though I was fairly good at keeping my sugars level, I still had an 11 pound baby on the last one. But whether you have Type 1, Type 2, Gestational, or you're just trying to get healthier or lose weight, the diet is rough. All of the best tasting foods are carbs! And to put a strict limit on them, or to not be able to eat some of them at all is just a pain in the butt. But we do what we have to for our health.

But at least we can take comfort in the fact that it's not a NO CARB diet. At least there are still some carbs that we can eat. In fact, it's not healthy to not eat carbs. I've had to go a couple weeks without being able to ANY carbs while I was waiting to get into someone to give me some fast acting insulin so that I could actually eat. And I was sick and had no energy whatsoever that entire time.
No fun...although I did drop a lot of weight. Not an enjoyable or healthy way to do it, to say the least.

And of course we have to be smart about the carbs we put in our bodies and make sure they are the healthy kind, and the ones that aren't too high for such a small amount. But there are so many food that are so high in carbs that it's impossible to eat them. The foods that I have the hardest time with are Mexican with it's rice and beans...Chinese take-out, dessert, pancakes. Those are my favorite things to eat--my comfort food.

But I refuse to give up on these things. I'm determined to come up with or find recipes that are delicious that won't make me miss how things used to be. Being healthy doesn't have to come with a price when you can find alternatives that satisfy those cravings. And that's what I've been striving for. To come up with as many recipes I can that are delicious low carb eats to keep the belly happy. And I hope I can help share them with anyone who is looking for the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. I love your new blog Nikki! I look forward to reading your posts! The recipes you have on here look yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete